Great article by Hammer Nutrition’s fueling expert, Steve Born. Article below, reprinted from original online here. Use me as your referral if you want to try these products (Tracy Green, #254423).
Recovering thoroughly between ALL your workouts – even the easier ones – is undeniably important. But what about those ridiculously hard workouts, the ones where you tell yourself, “Oh, am I going to be sore tomorrow. I doubt I’ll be able to function.”
After those kinds of training sessions, do you simply resign yourself to the possibility that even getting out of bed may be difficult? It doesn’t have to be that way! Apply these six simple steps and you’ll wake up the next day feeling a whole lot better than you ever thought you would!
1) Consume a double serving (4 scoops) of Recoverite right away after your workout. After a grueling training session you may find that you’re just too tired to whip up a high-quality meal, and that your stomach really isn’t ready for solid food. You still have to refill the tank though, especially after such a brute of a workout, and that’s where a double serving of Recoverite is in order. Your body will receive the fuel and nutrients needed to kick start its rebuilding process – a most-generous 66 grams of complex carbs, 20 grams of whey protein isolate, and 6 grams of glutamine. Recovery has now begun in superb fashion!
2) Take one capsule of Chromemate with your Recoverite. This is an inexpensive, yet powerful way to enhance glycogen synthesis and storage capabilities. Paraphrasing Dr. Bill Misner, the anabolic response for converting carbohydrates to muscle glycogen will not completely take place in the absence of GTF chromium (Chromemate). If only a minute amount of GTF chromium is available, only a third of the amount of muscle cell refueling will occur. Consuming a sufficient amount of carbohydrates along with Chromemate will result in a 300% increase in the rate of glycogen synthesis compared to no supplementation.
3) Take 1 capsule of Boron with your Recoverite. Taking supplemental boron on a daily basis is an excellent idea as this trace mineral plays numerous roles in many general health areas. Boron is also vital for restoring exercise-depleted hormone levels to normal, so it’s a must take nutrient after a super arduous, hormone-depleting training session.
4) Resupply! After an “I’m not sure how I’m going to recover” workout, your body is begging for nutrient support; vitamins, minerals and antioxidants are in high need. Premium Insurance Caps (4-7 capsules) will take care of resupplying the vitamins and minerals (some antioxidants as well), and Hammer Nutrition’s arsenal of potent antioxidant supplements – including Mito Caps (2 capsules), Super Antioxidant (2 capsules), and AO Booster (1 capsule now, 1 capsule with a later meal) – will supply wide-ranging protection against the damaging effects of free radicals.
5) Take this trio to help put the fire out! Tissue Rejuvenator is a great product for alleviating both muscle and joint soreness, and it really shines when used after those super hard training sessions. Take 2-4 capsules with your Recoverite, and another 2 capsules with a later meal to supply your body with a wide range of anti-infl ammatory nutrients. AO Booster is not only a potent antioxidant supplement; everything in the product has anti-infl ammatory properties… it’s an ideal complement to Tissue Rejuvenator. Take 1 capsule with Recoverite and another capsule with a later meal. Lastly, among their many benefits, the omega-3 fatty acids in EndurOmega are well-known for their anti-infl ammatory effects. 2 capsules with your post-workout meal, plus another 2 capsules at another time during the day, is my recommendation.
6) Consume 1 scoop of Hammer Whey prior to bedtime. You don’t necessarily need to do this after every workout, but definitely make it a habit prior to hitting the sack after your toughest training sessions… you’ll definitely feel so much better the next morning. Mix 1 scoop of Hammer Whey in 6-8 ounces of water and drink, then brush your teeth and go to bed. Simple! The body now has an excellent dose of amino acids, which it will use during a time (sleep) when it does many of its reparation/recuperative processes, and the 6 grams of glutamine will elevate serum human growth hormone (HGH) levels, which has anabolic (muscle building) effects. Whey protein is also the best protein source for alleviating muscle soreness, so you’ll receive that benefit as well.