KY-USATF Presents Annual Awards
The USATF Kentucky chapter held its annual banquet Jan. 6, and I was honored to receive the Women’s Long Distance Runner of the Year award alongside some amazing athletes.
Runners of the Year Awards
- Long Distance: Bobby Curtis and Tracy Green
- Master’s Long Distance: Blake Burchell and Barbara Palmquist
- Master’s Track: Hao-Ming Siu and Roberta Meyer
- Master’s Field: Keith Ray and Catherine Bishop
- Master’s Cross Country: Wendy Satterthwaite and Jef Scott
- Cross Country: Jef Scott and Katherine Receveur (Indiana University)
- Track and Field: Jacob Thompson and Kiana Gray (both University of Kentucky)
- Race Walk: Brandon Wiseheart and Julianna Bradley (both Campbellsville University)
- MUT: Manivannan Vangalur and Ashley Newton
- Youth Track: Keontae Pittman (Eastern Kentucky Striders) and Grace Bethel (Louisville Track Club)
- Youth Field: Luke Levinson (Louisville Track Club) and Callie Gormley (Versailles)
- Youth Cross Country: Christian Parker (Madisonville North High) and Jenna Strange (Tates Creek High)
- President’s Awards: Brian Campbell, Aaron Johnson, Aaron Teegarden and Chris Thomas
- Outstanding Service Awards: Pam Andrews, Joe Buechler, Jonathan Hall, Gary Mathis, Jerry Mohr, Rick Saunders, Bill Smith, Suzi Thomas, Ravi Vallabhapurapu, Chiffon Vaughn and Bill Young.
- Outstanding New Officials: Aaron Johnson and Jerry Mohr
- Outstanding Running Event Official: Roland Dale
- Outstanding Field Event Official: Ed Wallace
- KY-USATF officials selected to work 2018 national championships: Doug Allen, Gordon Bocock, David Clark, Kathy Johnston, Tim King, J.J. Meadows, Kenny Morton, Ashley Newton, Frank Newton, Eric Smith and Terry Yeast.
Also at the banquet, the Kentucky Track and Cross Country Coaches Association honored its annual Hall of Fame inductees. Two coaches were inducted: Arthur “Art” Sciubba of Paris High School and Greenwood High School, and Roy Wright of Rowan County High School.
In the athletes hall of fame, 10 were inducted:
- Houston Barber – Frankfort High School and Marquette University
- James Doaty – Male High School and University of Kentucky
- Jimmy Herald – Warren East High School and Southeast Missouri State University
- Robert “Bobby” Jones – Lafayette High School – Morehead State University
- E.G. Plummer – Danville High School – University of Kentucky
- Emma Brink – Sacred Heart Academy and University of North Carolina
- Amy Clements Olsen – St. Henry High School and Eastern Kentucky University
- Sharika Smith – Fulton County High School and Western Kentucky University
- Christina Brown Wells – Owen County High School – Western Kentucky University
- Kelly Bowman Wendel – Berea High School – University of Louisville
- And, Jack Kaelin was inducted into the KY-USATF Officials Hall of Fame.