New mantra: when in doubt, go a different route. I haven’t been excited about running much the past couple of months. There are no races to train for, no friends to run with. I fell into a rut of just running from my house on my regular route … over and over and over. No wonder I didn’t like it. Monday I headed out the door and spontaneously decided to go somewhere different, a direction I don’t normally go because it involves multiple busy street crossings. Not much traffic mid-morning on a quarantine Monday. It helped, and I ran the rest of the week in that neighborhood which might have defeated the purpose.
- Monday: 5 mi easy lunch run.
- Tuesday: rest day.
- Wednesday: 8 mi workout — 15x 1 min on/1 min off. This was supposed to be 3 miles of minutes on/off but Garmin doesn’t work that way and for whatever reason I had this set up in my watch as 15x so I went with it but that’s really like 4 miles so WHOOPS joke’s on me. Taught Pilates in the evening.
- Thursday: 6 mi easy morning run.
- Friday: Taught Pilates at lunch then ran 4 mi easy right after in the literal sauna that is Kentucky after a May storm. Holy moly. I originally planned to treadmill but the rain stopped so I opted outside and … regretted it. Not acclimated yet!
- Saturday: Taught Pilates in the morning then jumped on the treadmill for 5 mi easy while watching “Never Have I Ever.”
- Sunday: Ran 10 miles in 75-80º weather so that was fun. It was fine, really. Not too sunny. Thought about doing 12 and then decided I’d rather not. Taught Sunday Stretchies foam roller class in the evening.
Total: 38 miles, I’ll take it.
What we ate:
- Grilled Boca burgers and asparagus.
- Hobo packs, inspired by this recipe but actually with other vegetables we had laying around. Throw whatever you want in there. We ended up cooking them inside because of the weather, but my original plan was to grill them.
- Spinach and mushroom quesadillas — you don’t need a recipe for this. Just make sure you get the mushrooms down to bite-size pieces and sauté your veg first. I served them with this off-the-cobb take on elotes.
- Sloppy joes that C made with Beyond Meat crumbles and who knows what else, and homemade cauliflower tots. No recipe for the sloppy joes because he just made it up … and the recipe he used for the tots was no good, so not sharing that.
- Seeing our first seedlings start to poke up from last weekend’s planting! Pollinator garden seedlings also coming up.
- Lots of rain lately so plants are happy.
- Planted 16 hostas and 12 astilbes in the shady part of our yard. Got a blister on my hand for my efforts, but excited to see them grow! I planted these from bare roots, which was a new experience.
- We’ve got strawberries, y’all. Good size so far but still green.
Pilates schedule for May 18-24:
- Monday, 5:30 p.m. (30 min)
- Tuesday, 12 p.m. (30 min)
- Wednesday, 5:30 p.m. (60 min)
- Friday, 12:30 p.m. (30 min)
- Saturday, 10:30 a.m. (60 min)
- Sunday, 4:30 p.m. (60 min / foam roller!)
- Memorial Day Monday, 10:30 a.m. (60 min)
Use the “Book A Class” button at the top of this page to schedule, and use code WELCOME for a free class.